UW Veterinary Care at the UW-Madison School of Veterinary Medicine is in search of a dedicated, motivated and enthusiastic Certified Veterinary Technician to join our Orthopedic team as Orthopedic Coordinator. This position would provide specialized support to the daily operations of the Small Animal Orthopedic Service. UW Veterinary Care is located on the campus of the University of Wisconsin in the heart of Madison, a community offering numerous cultural, recreational and educational activities. This is an excellent opportunity to utilize your skills in a progressive, state-of-the-art, fast-paced learning environment.
This is an objective level position providing specialized support to the daily operations of the Small Animal Orthopedic Service. Requires excellent communication and interpersonal skills, strong organizational and decision-making abilities, knowledge of specialized services provided by Orthopedics and other clinical services, and an understanding of UWVC referral policies and procedures. Requires the ability to lift a minimum of 50 pounds independently and manual dexterity to perform specialized tasks. This position works closely with the Orthopedic faculty on a daily basis and under limited supervision by the Orthopedic Technician Supervisor. Duties include, but are not limited to:
1) Scheduling and coordinating recheck appointments, referral appointments, urgent cases, and referral emergencies for the Orthopedic service, via direct phone contact with clients and referring veterinarians, and communication with the UWVC referral
coordinator and appointment staff.
2) Acting as a Orthopedic liaison to the front desk and other services, and coordinating appropriate ancillary services (anesthesia, radiology) for each appointment as needed.
3) Oversight of the daily Orthopedic receiving schedule to assure that scheduled cases are seen promptly.
4) Review of estimates with clients, collection of deposits, collection of balances, and charge capture for the service. Keep a daily census of hospitalized Orthopedic patients and apprising clients of updates to their estimates.
5) Providing assistance to faculty and house officers with clinically related research.
6) Improving outreach efforts of the Orthopedic service, to include brochures and maintenance of the web site.
7) Assures that high quality nursing care is provided for all patients being seen by the Orthopedic service.
8) Performs duties under limited supervision. This may include working flexible, on-call hours and variable shifts.
9) Assisting the STS department as needed.
10) Participates in instruction of veterinary students and training of veterinary technicians.
11) Monitors veterinary student participation in daily receiving schedules, initiates changes and lends assistance when needed.
12) Assists supervisor in problem solving activities and administrative tasks.
12) Participates and understands the importance of working as a team member within the hospital structure (ie communication with supervisors and faculty for enhancing productivity and quality patient care).
The work is performed under general direction.
If you are interested in this position, or any of our other open positions at UWVC please use the link below to apply online!